Current:Home > reviewsMan tied to suspected gunman in killing of Tupac Shakur is indicted on murder charge -Blueprint Money Mastery
Man tied to suspected gunman in killing of Tupac Shakur is indicted on murder charge
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 22:39:10
LAS VEGAS — One of the last living witnesses to the fatal drive-by shooting of rapper Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas was charged with murder with use of a deadly weapon Friday in the 1996 killing, a long-awaited breakthrough in a case that has frustrated investigators and fascinated the public ever since the hip-hop icon was gunned down 27 years ago.
A Nevada grand jury indicted Duane "Keffe D" Davis in the killing, prosecutors announced in court Friday. Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo said a grand jury had been seated in the case for "several months." DiGiacomo described Davis as the "on-ground, on-site commander" who "ordered the death" of Shakur.
The charges were revealed hours after Davis, 60, was arrested this morning while on a walk near his home, according to DiGiacomo.
Davis has long been known to investigators and has himself admitted in interviews and in his 2019 tell-all memoir, "Compton Street Legend," that he was in the Cadillac from which the gunfire erupted during the September 1996 drive-by shooting. Shakur was 25 when he was killed.
Las Vegas police raided a home in mid-July in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson that is tied to Davis. Police were looking for items "concerning the murder of Tupac Shakur," according to the search warrant. They collected multiple computers, a cellphone and hard drive, a Vibe magazine that featured Shakur, several .40-caliber bullets, two "tubs containing photographs" and a copy of Davis' memoir.
Clark County District Judge Jerry Wiese denied Davis bail.
It wasn't immediately clear if Davis has an attorney who can comment on his behalf. Davis hasn't responded to multiple phone and text messages from The Associated Press seeking comment or an interview in the more than two months since the house raid.
Shakur was in a BMW driven by Death Row Records founder Marion "Suge" Knight in a convoy of about 10 cars. They were waiting at a red light when a white Cadillac pulled up next to them and gunfire erupted. Shakur was shot multiple times and died a week later at the age of 25.
The rapper's death came as his fourth solo album, "All Eyez on Me," remained on the charts, with some 5 million copies sold. Nominated six times for a Grammy Award, Shakur is still largely considered one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time.
In his memoir, Davis said he was in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac and had slipped the gun used in the killing into the backseat, from where he said the shots were fired.
Davis implicated his nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, saying he was one of two people in the backseat. Anderson, a known rival of Shakur, had been involved in a casino brawl with the rapper shortly before the shooting.
After the casino brawl, "Mr. Davis formulated a plan to exact revenge upon Mr. Knight and Mr. Shakur" in his nephew's defense, DiGiacomo said.
Anderson died two years later. He denied any involved in Shakur's death.
Davis revealed in his memoir that he first broke his silence in 2010 during a closed-door meeting with federal and local authorities. At the time, he was 46 and facing life in prison on drug charges when he agreed to speak with them about Tupac's killing, as well as the fatal shooting six months later of Tupac's rap rival, Biggie Smalls, also known as the Notorious B.I.G.,
"They offered to let me go for running a 'criminal enterprise' and numerous alleged murders for the truth about the Tupac and Biggie murders," he wrote. "They promised they would shred the indictment and stop the grand jury if I helped them out."
Shakur was feuding at the time with rap rival Biggie Smalls, who was fatally shot in March 1997. At the time, both rappers were in the middle of an East Coast-West Coast rivalry that primarily defined the hip-hop scene during the mid-1990s.
Greg Kading, a retired Los Angeles police detective who spent years investigating the Shakur killing and wrote a book about it, said he's not surprised by Davis' arrest.
The former Los Angeles police detective said he believed the investigation gained new momentum in recent years following Davis' public descriptions of his role in the killing, including his 2019 memoir.
"It's those events that have given Las Vegas the ammunition and the leverage to move forward," Kading said. "Prior to Keffe D's public declarations, the cases were unprosecutable as they stood."
veryGood! (374)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Canadian workers reach deal to end strike that shut down Great Lakes shipping artery
- Police investigating death of US ice hockey player from skate blade cut in English game
- Day of the Dead 2023: See photos of biggest Día de Los Muertos celebration in the US
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Chinese factory activity contracts in October as pandemic recovery falters
- Ariana Madix Reveals Unexpected Dancing With the Stars Body Transformation
- 'Never saw the stop sign': Diamondbacks rue momentum-killing gaffe in World Series Game 3
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- A landmark gene-editing treatment for sickle cell disease moves closer to reality
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Live updates | Israeli ground forces attack Hamas targets in north as warplanes strike across Gaza
- Horoscopes Today, October 30, 2023
- Bridgerton’s Ruby Barker Shares She Experienced 2 Psychotic Breaks
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- A 16-year-old is arrested in the fatal shooting of a Rocky Mountain College student-athlete
- 'Bun in the oven' is an ancient pregnancy metaphor. This historian says it has to go
- Joseph Czuba pleads not guilty in stabbing of 6-year-old Palestinian American boy
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Phoebe Philo, former creative director of Chloé and Celine, launches debut collection
How to right-click, easily add emojis and more with these Mac keyboard shortcuts
Ex-Louisville detective Brett Hankison's trial begins in Breonna Taylor case
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Gwyneth Paltrow reflects on the magical summer she spent with Matthew Perry in touching tribute
Hong Kong leader defends new election rules even though biggest pro-democracy party can’t join race
Doctors could revive bid to block Arizona ban on abortions performed due to genetic abnormality